Flooding Help

If your home or local vicinity is flooding, take a look at the information below for a list of who to contact and what to do. Above all make sure you stay safe.

Fleet Flooding Says:

1) You’re flooding, you’re in a panic and the very last thing is the world you want to do is grab your camera, after all it’s not pretty, it’s hardly something you want to remember is it? Wrong! as much as you don’t want to, take as many pictures of your flooding as possible. If you are suffering from sewage contamination, grit your teeth and take close up’s of all those nasty bits and pieces strewn all over your home as well as wide shots to show how much area it covers. (Sewage contamination often looks very oily and can contain white and solid pieces of waste from the sewage system)…and very importantly…make sure your camera’s date is correct!

2) Ring Thames Water on 0845 9200 800 and report your flooding – get it on record.

3) Keep notes..dates, times, people you’ve spoken to etc

4) If Thames Water have failed to meet their ‘guaranteed standards’, you may be entitled to a payment under their Customer Guarantee Scheme. Click *here* to access their online request form.

Why do we recommend these steps? Because later down the line, when you are fighting to get your property cleaned up and make a possible claim from Thames Water’s Customer Guarantee Scheme (if applicable), you’ll have all the proof you need. If you don’t have proof, it’s a lot harder to get anything done about it. Plus you’ll have lots of proof to email to us and show how bad this problem is!

Thames Water Says:

If you need to report a blockage or flooding, please read the information below to work out who may be responsible:

Public sewer
If you think there is a blockage or if your property has been flooded by our public sewer, please call us on 0845 9200 800 and one of our team will be here to help, 24 hours a day.

Fleet Flooding Says: Although this is charged at a local call rate, please be aware you may be on hold for quite some time during busy periods and these calls can add up very quickly. Thames Water will not refund this cost to you.

We will discuss the problem with you, and may arrange to visit. How quickly we will be able to get to your property will depend on how bad the flooding is, and where it is. This can range from one hour to 24 hours.

Fleet Flooding Says: Please be aware, it is well known that this may actually take longer than the quoted 24 hours stated.

Textphone service for the deaf or hard of hearing

We will discuss the problem with you, and may arrange to visit. How quickly we will be able to get to your property will depend on how bad the flooding is, and where it is. This can range from one hour to 24 hours.

Textphone service for the deaf or hard of hearing
This service is available for customers who are deaf or hard of hearing. Please note, voice calls or mobile numbers aren’t accepted via this number: 0845 7200 898.

Hart Council Says:

Flooding & Who to Contact:

Some areas within Hart are at risk of flooding, to view an interactive map of flood warnings in Hart please visit the Environment Agency website.

The following notes give guidance on who to contact for various types of flooding:

Flooding from Public Sewers
Thames Water own and manage the network of public foul and surface water sewers. The majority of public sewers are located in highways and the Council has a copy of the Thames Water sewer maps, which can be viewed at the Civic Offices. To report an overflowing public sewer, you should call Thames Water Customer Services on 08459 200 800 (24 hour service).

Flooding from Private Sewers or Drains
If your private drains or sewers are overflowing, you will need a drainage contractor to deal with any blockage. See “Yellow Pages” under “Drain and Pipe Cleaning”. If you are uncertain if any blockage is in the public or private sewers, Thames Water should be able to determine this, once on site, then recharge you the cost of any work on the private sewers.

Flooding from the Public Highway
For flooding from the public highway or reporting blocked road gullies or gratings, contact Hampshire Highways North office at Hook, on 0845 603 5633.

Flooding from a Burst Water Main
The local water supply company are South East Water – Customer Call Centre 0845 301 0845.  The water company are responsible for their supply up to and including the water stopcock.

Flooding from a Water Service Pipe or Internal Pipework
This is the responsibility of the homeowner or landlord and would need the attention of a plumber (see “Yellow Pages” or similar directories).

Flooding from a Main River
The main rivers in the Hart district include the Hart, Blackwater and Whitewater and are the responsibility of the Environment Agency. The Agency’s general enquiry number is 08708 506 506, and their 24hr Floodline advice and information service for floods and flood warnings is 0845 988 1188.

Flooding from Watercourses, other than Main Rivers
Watercourses, other than main rivers, are the responsibility of riparian owners. You are a riparian owner if your property or land is on, or very near, a watercourse. Riparian owners have a duty to keep the watercourse clear of any obstruction to flow and the Council can serve legal notices on riparian owners to deal with obstructions. Some relatively small watercourses, that are known to pose a high risk of property flooding if they become blocked have been re-classified as ‘Main River’ and are now managed by the Environment Agency.  For advice, during office hours, ring Hart District Council on 01252 774210.

Provision of Sandbags to Protect against Flooding

The Council makes sandbags available to residents of the district, during emergency situations, to enable them to protect their homes from flooding. However, residents who are aware that their homes are at a high risk of flooding, e.g. as a result of the close proximity of a watercourse, are recommended to obtain sandbags from a builders’ merchant to enable early preparation, as at times of flooding the Council’s contractor may not be able to reach all properties before flooding occurs.

The following builders merchants are generally able to supply empty sandbags plus bags of sand: Jewson ( 01252 613555) at 128 Clarence Road and Travis Perkins (01252 613681) in Fleet Road, Fleet or (01252 843366) at Albion Place, Hartley Wintney can generally supply empty sandbags plus bags of sand.

If you require sandbags in an emergency please call 01252 622122.  If you call this number out of office hours you will be given the emergency mobile number for the out of hours contact.

Other Contacts & Advice

Environmental Agency 24 hour floodline : 0845 988 1188

Environmental Agency Website: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods

Sign up for flood warnings: https://fwd.environment-agency.gov.uk/app/olr/home

Hart County Council Flood Advice: http://www3.hants.gov.uk/emergencyplanning/severeweather/flooding-advice.htm

Share Button